GFS has given me so much – happiness, confidence and a loving ‘family’. It makes me happy when I hear girls say they have enjoyed what they have done and that they want to come to GFS again. When I meet up with them years later, I see what sort of women they have become, and think “I had a part in that”.GFS volunteer
We want to give you a space as a volunteer to explore, inspire and be inspired. If you have a passion for arts and crafts, performance, writing, sports, your community, the environment, campaigning, vital skills for life, health and wellbeing or anything else, we’d like to give you the chance to shine. We offer a space for you to share your passion with the girls by running sessions in the group. With a supportive team of volunteers, you will have the chance to inspire girls with something that is close to your heart.
What to expect
- Training on all the things you need to know to run a GFS group safely and well. We aim to offer training that can enhance your learning, skills and knowledge and may be useful in other work or study.
- Support from our Volunteer Coordinator and support for your group from a GFS staff member based in your region.
- To be connected with a network of seasoned GFS volunteers around the country, who you can share ideas and experiences with.
- To commit to a weekly session of around two hours, plus tasks related to running the group (an additional one to three hours depending on role).
- An online library of step-by-step activities and programmes available to support you in leading group sessions. Take a look at our activities.
- Safeguarding Awareness training. First Aid and/or Food Hygiene training (as needed)
What you’ll gain
- A chance to make a real difference in the lives of girls.
- You get to be part of a team of link-minded people who are passionate about female empowerment.
- Valuable experience and skills that are, not only great for your CV, but for your own personal development.
- We’re able to provide references for anyone who has been volunteering continuously for six months or more.
What happens when I sign up?
- Step one is for you to register so that we know you’re interested.
- Once we get your registration we’ll get in touch with you to let you know about the opportunities in your area and arrange an informal chat about volunteering. We’ll also send you a short skills survey to complete before the interview.
- In the chat we’ll tell you more about your local group and answer any questions you may have. We’ll also discuss your experience, skills survey and any areas you would like to develop.
- If possible, we’ll arrange for you to visit the group for a taster session so you can see the group in action and meet the other volunteers.
- We’ll get in touch with you to see how it went.
- If all is good to go ahead, we will contact your referees, give you information on how to complete your online DBS, send you online training and offer you dates for GFS training sessions to attend.